Monday, June 23, 2014

Fwd: [New post] Money, Money, Money - 8 English Idioms to talk about Money



---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: English with a Twist <donotreply@wordpress.com>
Date: 2014-06-23 18:04 GMT-05:00
Subject: [New post] Money, Money, Money – 8 English Idioms to talk about Money
To: hectorpinillos@gmail.com


Shanthi posted: "In my last post, I told you that I was flying off to Barbados for a forthnight (two weeks). As you read this post, I am probably sunning myself at the beach or by the pool in our friends' home. Ok, ok, I'll stop bragging (showing off) and get to the point"

New post on English with a Twist

Money, Money, Money – 8 English Idioms to talk about Money

by Shanthi

In my last post, I told you that I was flying off to Barbados for a forthnight (two weeks). As you read this post, I am probably sunning myself at the beach or by the pool in our friends' home. Ok, ok, I'll stop bragging (showing off) and get to the point of today's post.

One of the things we need to have when we go on holiday is money, of course. As I was thinking of how much to take with us and in what currency, I thought of all those wonderful idioms we have connected with the theme of money.

People say that "Money makes the world go round", "Money talks" or as the Beatles sang "Money can't buy me love". Whatever we think of money, it's important in our lives.

There are so many money expressions and idioms in the English Language that I could dedicate at least 5 posts to the topic. In this post, however, I want to share 8 money idioms.

Once again I have the pleasure of sharing this colourful infographic prepared by Kaplan International. You can find this infographic on the Kaplan website. I love the creative and humorous way the idioms are shown here.

money idiomsKaplan International English

Here is what they mean and how you could use them in a sentence:

1. Balance the books: to add up all the credits and debits of an account
“Thomas is in charge of balancing the books at the end of each quarter for the business"

2. Bring home the bacon: to earn money to support the family
James does overtime so that he can bring home the bacon.”

3. Go Dutch: splitting (sharing) the bill equally
“Matthew and Hazel always go dutch when they eat out.

4. Gravy train: A job that pays a lot of money for very little effort
“Ian earns a fortune for three hours' work a day. He’s really on the gravy train!”

5. Nest egg: Money that has been saved up over a period of time
“Over the years Leo has been very disciplined and saved every month. He now has a big nest egg on which he can retire.”

6. Cook the books: dishonest accounting
“The financial world has seen many business that have cooked the books to make their businesses attractive to potential investors."

7. Golden handshake: A payment to a departing employee (normally the top executives)
"As CEO, Ross was given a golden handshake when he agreed to leave the company."

8. Cheapskate: A person who does not like to spend money on people (This is not used as a compliment)
“Thomas did not want to spend $5 on flowers for his mother. What a cheapskate!”

And finally, here are Liza Minelli and Joel Grey in the film 'Cabaret' singing "Money Makes the World Go Round"

Ciao for now

Shanthi

NB If you liked this post, please share it. And don’t forget to subscribe to my blog if you don’t want to miss out on my posts.

Shanthi | June 24, 2014 at 12:03 am | Tags: #efl, Idioms, Infographics | Categories: Idioms | URL: http://wp.me/p3izTK-v0

Comment    See all comments

Unsubscribe to no longer receive posts from English with a Twist.
Change your email settings at Manage Subscriptions.

Trouble clicking? Copy and paste this URL into your browser:
http://englishwithatwist.com/2014/06/24/money-money-money-8-english-idioms-to-talk-about-money/





--
*Peguele una miradita a:*
*http://neacolombia.blogspot.com*

No comments:

Post a Comment