Friday, January 17, 2014

Fwd: [New post] 12 More British Slang Expressions You Will Hear When Visiting the UK.



---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: English with a Twist <donotreply@wordpress.com>
Date: 2014/1/17
Subject: [New post] 12 More British Slang Expressions You Will Hear When Visiting the UK.
To: hectorpinillos@gmail.com


Shanthi posted: " The most shared post I've had so far since starting my blog is my post on 10 British Slang Expressions. It had over 3,000 shares on Facebook alone and many positive comments by my readers. Thank you ever so much to all of you who shared the post. Many "

New post on English with a Twist

12 More British Slang Expressions You Will Hear When Visiting the UK.

by Shanthi

A Chin Wag Photo: picturesof

A Chin Wag
Photo: picturesof

The most shared post I've had so far since starting my blog is my post on 10 British Slang Expressions. It had over 3,000 shares on Facebook alone and many positive comments by my readers. Thank you ever so much to all of you who shared the post.

Many of you asked me to post more British Slang expressions, so not wanting to disappoint you here are 12 more.

 

 

1. aggro - the word is short for "aggravation". It's often used to mean 'trouble'.
"Look, I'm having a really bad day so don't give me any aggro".

 

2. barmy - another way of saying mad or crazy. It's normally used to describe a person.
"You would have to be barmy to go running in this pouring rain".

 

3. bee's knees - it is often used to describe something or someone as fabulous
"This hotel is the bee's knees".

Photo: timothywichester.blogspot

Photo: timothywichester.blogspot

 

4. bender - a heavy drinking session
"Jim was in trouble with the boss this morning. Apparently he went on a bender last night and left his laptop on the train".

5. cheesed off -  to be annoyed
"I'm really cheesed off with Simon. He said that he would pick me up at 8pm last night and he forgot!" 

6. chin wag - a chat (normally associated with women!)
" There's nothing better than meeting up with the girls once a month for a glass of wine and a chin wag."

7. chuffed - pleased (adjective) sometimes we say "chuffed to bits" to mean very pleased.
"I managed to get tickets for next week's Arsenal match. I am chuffed to bits".

8. cracking - really good (Jamie Oliver often describes his dishes as "cracking".
"I managed to get a cracking piece of beef for the Sunday roast".

 

Photo: Jamie Oliver's Ministry of Food

Photo: Jamie Oliver's Ministry of Food

 
9. daft - stupid
"Don't be daft. You know you can always ask me anything".

 

10. easy peasy - a rhyming expression for the word "easy". I use it a lot with my clients. I always add "lemon squeezy" to finish the rhyme off!
"Excellent. I knew that you'd grasp the Past Perfect. That was easy peasy, lemon squeezy".

 

11. to flog - to sell
"I didn't want that old table, so I flogged it for £20". (There's even a BBC programme where people can sell items in auction)

 

12. fluke - happy chance
"When Charlie came back from walking his dog, he realised that he had left his keys on the park bench. When he went back to the bench, they were still lying there. That was pure fluke".

 

Have you ever heard of these expressions? Try using them next time you speak to a British English speaker. They will certainly be impressed.

If you liked this post, please share. And don't forget to subscribe to my blog if you don't want to miss out of any of my posts.

Ciao for now.

Shanthi

Shanthi | January 17, 2014 at 7:00 am | URL: http://wp.me/p3izTK-k4

Comment    See all comments

Unsubscribe to no longer receive posts from English with a Twist.
Change your email settings at Manage Subscriptions.

Trouble clicking? Copy and paste this URL into your browser:
http://englishwithatwist.com/ShanthiBlog/2014/01/17/12-more-british-slang-expressions-you-will-hear-when-visiting-the-uk/





--
*Peguele una miradita a:*
*http://neacolombia.blogspot.com*

No comments:

Post a Comment