Wednesday, May 02, 2012

IDIOMS - ( 8º, 9º, 10º, 11º )

Copy these idioms in your notebook and practice, study and be ready to answer about  them in class. 
You should know how to conjugate them.


1.     To get on: (to enter, board) Compare: to get or catch a bus.
a.     I always get on the bus at 34th Street.
b.      William gets on the Transmilenio at Banderas every morning.
2.     To get off:    (to leave, descend from)
a.     Helen gets off the bus at Cali Ave.
b.     At what station do you usually get off the Transmilenio?
3.     To put on: (to place on oneself – said particularly of clothes) (S)
a.     Mary put on her scarf and left the room.
b.     Why is John putting on his hat and coat?
4.     To take off: (to remove – said also of clothes) (S)
a.     John took off his hat as he entered the room.
b.     Is Helen taking off her coat because it is too warm in the room?
5.     To call up: (to telephone) (S)
a.     I forgot to call up Mr. Smith yesterday, although I promise to call him up exactly at three o’clock.
b.     Did anyone call me up while I was out?
6.     To turn on: (to start, begin) (S)
a.     Please turn on the light. This room is dark.
b.     Someone turned on the T.V. in this room while we were out.
7.     To turn off: (to stop, terminate, extinguish) (S)
a.     Shall I turn off the radio or are you still listening to it?
b.     Please turn off the light. We do not need it now.
c.      Shall I turn the oven off?
8.     Right away: (immediately, at once, very soon)
a.     She says that dinner will be ready right away.
b.     Can William come to my office right away?
9.     To pick up: (to take – especially with the fingers)
a.     John picked up the newspaper which was on his desk.
b.     Why didn’t you pick up that pencil which was on the floor?
c.      I would have picked it up if I had noticed it.
10.                        At once: (immediately, very soon, right away)
a.     He asked me to come to his office at once.
b.     I want you to send this e – mail right away.
11.                       To get up: (to arise, to move from a lying position, to standing position) (S)
a.     I get up at seven o’clock every morning.
b.     What time does your brother usually get up?
c.      The man was so weak that the nurse was unable to get him up.
12.                       At first: (originally, in the first instance)
a.     At first he seemed to find English very difficult, but later he made very good progress.
b.     At first I thought it was John who was telephoning to me.


In order to know you checked this entry you should write a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment